Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Good Enough Day

Date: 12 October 2010
Guests: Scott
Tickets: $12

Hannah Georgas:
Hannah Georgas is a wonderful pop-roots artist from Vancouver. I first saw her open for Said the Whale in 2009, and since then, she's done quite well for herself. This show was just before the release of the 2010 song quest Road Songs album, which had her single "Drive". Her first full length album "This Is Good" lives up to it's title. A few of my favorite tracks of hers are: "The Beat Stuff", "The Deep End" and "Lover's Breakdown"

Setlist: 
This is Good
Chit Chat
Thick Skin
Shorty
Lovesick
The Beat Stuff
Ode
Dancefloor
Bang Bang You're Dead
All I Need
Waiting

Royal Wood:

First off, Royal is one handsome and talented individual. Looks this good paired with talent is one dangerous combination. This Peterborough native is also half of a Canadian music super couple, married to Sarah Slean, although he mentions being married, (breaking the hearts of half the audience) I only knew to look from what was heard on CBC... no coat tails needed. He brings class to the Canadian Singer/Songwriter music scene in his pressed suit paired with the suave look. His lyrics are thoughtful paired with gentle melodies, you can definitely see why this Canadian was names 2010 Songwriter of the Year on iTunes. I thought of my sister Lindsay hand her husband often during this set: I'm so glad was their first dance song. The video for the track "Juliet" really made Scott and I fall in love with Royal (his real name) after Dean and Kate added it to their wedding compilation mix.

Setlist:
Aged
On Top of Your Love
Weigh Me Down
I'm So Glad
Juliet
Do You Recall
You Can't Go
Waiting
Birds On Sunday
Found
Tonight I'll Be Your Guide
Mirror
Acting Crazy
Lady in White
Don't Fall Apart
Suzanne
Silently

The set was great. There was a good balance of slower melancholy tunes and more up-beat songs. His style puts a thoughtful tone to any song, as you can see with his thoughtful cover of Pumped Up Kicks, (a great song in it's original form too). I never really understood the course until hearing Royal's cover. I like the song much more now, though it's quite a bit darker than it's original would suggest.

We stuck around after the show and were able to have a chat with Royal, and the Bassist Steve (who looks like Derek Zoolander) about his electric Bass, which I haven't seen before, but had a sound that I really loved in a easier to manage size. Scott and I got a vinyl, and we were invited back on stage after the show to meet with the rest of the band and have a little chat. The band was so nice and friendly; a great way to finish a wonderful show.  

PS: Royal is coming back to Edmonton 28 September 2011 at the ARTery!

No comments:

Post a Comment